Telecom & IT Services to Indian Railways
RailTel was established with the vision to modernize Railways train control, operations and safety system networks. Over the years, RailTel has implemented various telecom & IT infrastructure projects as well as various value added services as a dedicated System Integrator for Indian Railways, which has aided in spreading various Railways applications to remote and rural stations thus increasing customer satisfaction.
- Short haul connectivity (station to station): RailTel has STM-4/STM-1 based network at every station with loop protection architecture to support redundancy wherever feasible. This network is capable to supports various data connectivity needs of Railways such as as PRS/UTS/FOIS/mission critical information along with carriage of voice traffic such as emergency communication during disaster management etc.
- Long haul connectivity: RailTel provides MPLS based Wide Area Network – which is called as Railnet to support administrative data communication needs of various field organizations of Indian Railways. The network interconnects Ministry of Railways with 16 Zonal HQs, 66 Divisions offices, Production units, Training Institutions for sharing of information from all depts. The network reach is also being extended to operational areas like major yards, workshops & other far units. Internet access is also extended to all Railway offices on RailNet, as required. RailTel has also undertaken the task of creating secured L3 MPLS VPN network for Vigilance directorate connecting across all Zonal Railways and Railway units.
- NGN for voice traffic: All major telephone exchanges of Indian Railways are connected with future proof NGN technology. This infrastructure is very critical for day to day administrative functioning of Railways.
- Broadband: In addition, RailTel has deployed DSLAM's on existing Railway exchanges to provide Broadband services to several thousand homes and offices of Indian Railways in both urban and rural areas using the existing Copper wire last mile of Railways. This shall not only help Railway employees but shall also help in increasing Broadband penetration in the country in line with the National Telecom Policy.
- Facilitating CUG services: Further, RailTel has also facilitated for Mobile CUG connections for 175,000 officers of Indian Railways which is arguably the largest CUG plan within India as well as worldwide. It has greatly facilitated in seamless communication among the officials for improved train operations
- In addition, RailTel also provides professional and technical guidance to Indian Railways on technical up-gradation. RailTel is also considering facilitating modern signalling and safety systems in Indian Railways.